GRAND FORKS FIRE DEPARTMENT CONCLUDES INVESTIGATION OF HOUSE FIRE THAT LEFT ONE DEAD

The Grand Forks Fire Department has concluded its investigation of the fire that occurred Saturday morning, January 15th at 2110 10th Ave N.

The fire is being classified as accidental. It was caused by improper handling/disposal of smoking materials. A smoldering cigarette ignited combustible materials next to a bed. The burning materials ignited the mattress. The bedroom sustained moderate damage. There was smoke and heat damage throughout the main floor.

The Grand Forks Fire Department urges residents to follow these fire safety steps.

  • -Properly dispose of smoking materials in a non-combustible container.
  • -Ensure working smoke detectors are present and regularly replace the batteries.
  • -Implement an emergency plan for your home and practice it regularly.