At approximately 10:35 a.m. this morning, the Grand Forks Fire Department was dispatched to the Continental Covenant Apartments at 1712 Continental Dr. for a fire alarm with smoke.
Crews arrived on the scene of a two-story apartment building that was partially evacuated. Fire crews entered the building to find a cooking fire, which was extinguished by the tenant. The cooking materials were removed from the apartment to the exterior of the building prior to their arrival. Fire crews ensured that the fire was extinguished and checked for extension. After crews ensured there was no extension, fire crews ventilated the structure. All tenants were allowed to return to their units. There was no report of any injuries. The fire was determined to be accidental and cooking related. There was smoke damage to the unit involved.
The Grand Forks Fire Department responded with five engines, one truck, and one command vehicle, with seventeen personnel. Grand Forks Fire Department was assisted on the scene by the Grand Forks Police Department and Altru Ambulance.
The Grand Forks Fire Department would like to remind residents to keep combustibles clear of cooking areas and to check that their smoke detectors are in working order.