The Pelican Rapids Vikings played a heckuva game, but the Lake City Tigers ended  the overtime session by scoring the final 12 points to win 72-61 in the first round of the State Class AA Boys Basketball tournament at Target Center in Minneapolis.

The game started as a back-and-forth battle as both teams tried shaking off nervous energy early on. The game was tied at 2, 4, 8, and 10 before Lake City scored back-to-back baskets for a 14-10 lead. Pelican Rapids’ Timmy Guler (Minnesota State Moorhead Football commit) answered with a basket before Lake City made a three-pointer for a 17-12 lead with 7:05 remaining in the half. Pelican Rapids trailed 24-18 when Charlie Larson started to heat up with three straight points, and after a Lake City free throw, Larson added a basket to bring the Vikings within a 25-23 deficit going into halftime.

Pelican Rapids had a great start to the second half as they made their first three shots with back-to-back three-pointers from Charlie Larson and Guler before a Torres basket for a 31-25 lead two minutes into the half. Lake City settled down and responded with a 6-0 run, with three different players scoring a basket apiece to tie the game at 31. Pelican Rapids answered with back-to-back three-pointers, with Torres and Charlie Larson connecting for a 37-31 lead five minutes into the half. Lake City’s Keegan Ryan (a UND Football commit) scored back-to-back baskets, and after a Pelican Rapids basket, Lake City scored three points to get within a 39-38 deficit. Pelican Rapids, as they did all game long, responded with an Isaman three-pointer. Lake City answered with a basket before the Vikings’ Torres made another three-pointer for a 45-40 lead halfway through the half. Lake City answered with a Jaden Shones basket, which was followed by a Hunter Lorenson (UMC Men’s Basketball commit) steal and layup. The teams exchanged baskets, and Pelican Rapids led 49-46 before Lake City went on a 5-0 run for a 51-50 lead, their first lead since the opening seconds of the half. Pelican Rapids answered with a Torres steal and pass to Guler for a layup. Grady Larson added a basket before Guler hit a mid-range jump shot to give the Vikings a 55-51 lead with under three minutes remaining. Lake City countered with a basket to get within a 55-53 deficit. Pelican Rapids ran the shot clock down the final seconds, and Guler made an NBA three-pointer to take a 58-53 lead with 1:06 left in the game. Lake City’s Lorenson responded with five straight points to tie the game at 58 with 52 seconds left in regulation. Pelican Rapids Guler sliced through the lane and banked a shot with 23 seconds to go. With 15.2 seconds remaining, Lake City’s Hunter Lorenson was fouled by Guler (his fifth foul of the game), and he made both free throws to tie the game. Pelican Rapids held the ball, looking for the last shot, but turned the ball over with 3.5 seconds remaining. Lake City’s last-second shot was short, and the game was tied at 60-60, forcing overtime.

Pelican Rapids’ Grady Larson scored the first point of overtime after he made a free throw, only to have Lake City control the rest of the overtime session by scoring the final 12 points of the period to win the game 72-61.

Pelican Rapids drops to 24-6 on the year and will play Jackson County Central in the consolation semi-finals on Thursday at 8:00 p.m.  Lake City improves to 25-5 on the year and will play Albany in the semi-finals on Friday at 8:00 p.m.

Pelican Rapids
Lake City
The box score is below-
Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab